Monday, February 15, 2010

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

Erika and I have another special guest this month writing at Hijas del Rey/Daugthers of a King. Her name is Marisol Rodriguez. We are so happy that she was able to express herself and open her heart to share this blog topic of "Unconditional Love" to you....

As we all know February is the month to express your love to someone. Whether to a family member, a friend, towards Jesus, or even yourself.

When I was given this topic to write about, at first I was happy because I can relate to it, and as I studied it, I realized that it is a way of life for all of us. God created mankind in his image with the purpose to love us and for us to love each other as HE loves us, but we fall short on this command. The grand commission for all of us is to love each other enough to go out there and search and reach out to the lost and preach the gospel in order to bring them to the kingdom of GOD, the church. Do we really do this with love? But, what about unconditional love? To better explain this I need to first tell you its meaning.

The Greek language (the language of the New Testament) uses two different words to describe and define love. The most commonly used Greek word translated "love" in the New Testament is "Agape." This love is represented by God's love for us. It is a non-partial, sacrificial love probably best exemplified by God's provision for our rebellion:

"For God so loved (Agape) the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

The gift of God's son (Jesus Christ) as a provision for sin was given to all humans, regardless of who we are. God's love is unconditional.

In contrast, our love is usually conditional and based upon how other people behave toward us. This kind of love is based upon familiarity and direct interaction. The Greek word "phileo" defines this kind of love, often translated "brotherly love." Phileo is a soulish (connected through our emotions) kind of love - something that can be experienced by both believers and non-believers. This is in contrast to agape, which is love extended through the spirit. Agape love requires a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, since the non-regenerated soul is unable to love unconditionally. Agape love gives and sacrifices expecting nothing back in return.

God wants us to express both phileo love and agape love. Peter expressed this idea in his first epistle:

Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love [Phileo] of the brethren, fervently love [Agape] one another from the heart, (1 Peter 1:22)

BUT, What is love?


Everybody seems to believe that love is a good thing. However, not all believe or agree on what is love. Is love that warm touchy-feely feeling a person has when he is with a familiar person? According to the Bible, love is caring in action. Love isn't what we feel, but what we do.

“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” (1 Corinthians 13: 1-8)



 
 
 
 
 
"The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love." (I John 4:8)
 
"We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for US. God is love, and the one who abides in love ("Agape") ABIDES IN GOD, and God abides in him." (I John 4:16)
 
I remember when I was young at age eight, I unfortunately was not one of those children that was raised in a small family, I come from a family of eleven. My mom and step-dad where to busy with life and did not have time to show love and affection, especially towards me. Why I say me, because I was the odd ball in the family. Being the middle child was hard and challenging. At the age of eight I became a young lady (if you know what I mean?) and was molested which was a life threatening event. But, it is when I also saw for the first time the movie of Jesus and his crucifixion. I fell in love with Jesus and did not know him. At that early age I began to be curious about him and wanted to know of him, but unfortunately I did not grow up in a religious family nor did they practice attending a Sunday service. I did not discover the true meaning of following Christ and being obedient to his commands until my late thirties. I wandered all my life looking for love in all the wrong places and expecting it to be returned when I shared it with others. But GOD showed me what true unconditional love is by HIS sacrifice for me in giving his only begotten son to save me and give me life and abundant love. HE did not expect anything in return but my choice to follow him and know Jesus was my love returned back to HIM. Although my past experiences with molestation and my feelings towards the person who molested me changed as I grew older. I did forgive the person in time as well as began to love him as I knew inside of me that it was the right thing to do. But, also in realizing how to love unconditionally, I can really say since I accepted Jesus into my heart on 9/9/2007, I was freed from bondage and I began to love this man who created the ungodly act more than anything. As I prayed for him daily so GOD can move in him and for Jesus to do miracles in his life. GOD showed me to be compassionate, forgive, and love again as HE does with all of us even when we do not deserve his mercy and grace.

How can any human being say NO to such a great love! Not only does HE provide love, but with the gifts of love he also provides peace, harmony, supplies for your needs, and helps you overcome all your challenges and fears. What human being can do that for you? No one as GOD is the way through Jesus Christ.

I invite you today to look at your current condition, examine how you perceive love and how you want GOD to help you love like HE loves. Give yourself the chance to love a stranger as Jesus showed us through all the miracles he performed while in his ministry. Give yourself a chance to help a lost child in need of love and affection. Give yourself a chance to have GOD love you so you can feel his hug and care of you. Believe me, when you take a moment to reflect the flaws that you have and allow GOD to transform them to help you love more unconditionally, your world will be a better place to be.


Prayer:
Dear GOD, today is a day I want you to wrap me in your arms and show me how to love unconditionally. Help me to identify those areas in my life that I need to forgive, finish healing, and forget. Help me LORD to love again unconditionally those that did me wrong and help me to identify opportunities to love those who need it the most. May your grace fall upon me and may you guide me every step of the way to be of a blessing to those that need love. May Jesus touch my heart as he did to the Samaritan woman and many other people whom he dealt with in his time. Thank you LORD for your unconditional and unfailing love and for being YOU! In the name of Jesus. Amen!


God bless you,
Marisol Rodriguez

2 comments:

  1. Awesome topic.... and awesome description... It is so awesome how we are all on the same page. We spoke about these different types of love in our youth bible study a couple of Sundays back. It was the opening to our month of love. And I am a firm believer in Actions speak louder than Words. Sometimes we don't need to say we love but we need to always show we love and that is what will touch the lives of those that we come in contact with on a daily basis. God Bless and keep up the wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I mentioned before Marisol..GREAT JOB!!I do agree that people are very quick in saying I love you but at times their actions show different and actions will convince others more than what comes out of our mouths.I think this is a very good and interesting topic.Keep up the good work:)God bless!!!Yary

    ReplyDelete

Bienvenida

Ministerio Hijas de un Rey es un blog para Mujeres Cristianas. Enfocando en compartiendo las experiencias de la vida para edificar a otras a traves de la Palabra de Dios, fortaleciendo nuestra Fe y ayudarnos a tener una relación más cercana con Jesús, Nuestro Rey.



Welcome

Daughters of a King Ministry is a blog for Christian Women. Focusing on sharing life's experiences and edify others through the Word of God, strengthening our Faith and help us have a closer relationship with Jesus, our King.